[meteorite-list] Matt's SPADE impact melt breccia

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:36 2004

-------------------------------1061940414

Bernd:
got my thin L'Aigle slice today that I had bid on on EBay. Wow, how happy
I am about this little L6 - "only" an L6, but the "history-laden" L'Aigle
chondrite,
that, along with Barbotan, convinced the last conservative bunch of
enlightened
scientists, that stones do fall from the skies. I love this little gem !!!
Gee, Bernd - not so long ago you gently scolded me on the list, about
placing ANY significance whatsoever on the "story" of a meteorite (we were
discussing Park Forest). You told me that you would tend to side with the more
European-view, which attaches significance to the classification of a meteorite, but
little or no significance to anything else. You even insisted that you
wouldn't value a rock that fell on your birthday in your yard any more than another
meteorite of the same specific classification, that might have been
anonymously found on an unknown date in an unknown desert locale . So, isn't the above
post somewhat of a departure from that position?

So, I guess L'Aigle's story makes it NOT "just another L6"! And to a lot of
us, Park Forest isn't "just another L5", which is what I was saying before.
Certainly not equating PF and L'Aigle, but at least we agree that the "story"
can contribute to the appeal. Welcome to the club! ;-)

    Gregory

-------------------------------1061940414

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>
<DIV>Bernd:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue=20=
2px solid"><FONT face=3DArial>got my thin L'Aigle slice today that I had bid=
 on on EBay. Wow, how happy<BR>I am about this little L6 - "only" an L6, but=
 the "history-laden" L'Aigle chondrite,<BR>that, along with Barbotan, convin=
ced the last conservative bunch of enlightened<BR>scientists, that stones do=
 fall from the skies. I love this little gem !!!</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Gee, Bernd&nbsp; -&nbsp; not so long ago you gently scolded me on the l=
ist,&nbsp;about placing ANY&nbsp;significance whatsoever&nbsp;on the "story"=
 of a meteorite (we were discussing Park Forest).&nbsp; You told me that you=
 would tend to side with&nbsp;the more&nbsp;European-view, which&nbsp;attach=
es significance to the <U>classification</U> of a meteorite, but little or n=
o significance to anything else.&nbsp;&nbsp;You even&nbsp;insisted that you=20=
wouldn't value a rock that fell on your birthday in your yard any more than&=
nbsp;another meteorite&nbsp;<EM>of the same specific classification</EM>, th=
at might have been anonymously found on an unknown date in an unknown desert=
 locale .&nbsp; So, isn't the above post somewhat of a&nbsp;departure from t=
hat&nbsp;position?&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So, I guess&nbsp;L'Aigle's story makes it NOT "just another L6"!&nbsp;&=
nbsp; And to a lot of us, Park Forest isn't "just another&nbsp;L5", which is=
 what I was saying before.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Certainly not equating PF and L'=
Aigle, but at least we agree that&nbsp;the "story" can contribute to the app=
eal.&nbsp; &nbsp;Welcome to the club!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory</DIV></BODY></HTML>