[meteorite-list] Spade TX impact melt photos

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:35 2004

Hi All:
Thought I would give you a taste of this "new" American meteorite.
This is the SPADE, Texas H6 and annealed impact melt breccia. I should have
slices ready for sale tonite. The price will be at the lowest end for an
impact melt (not becasue this one ISN'T worth it) so you can afford a bigger
piece. I am keeping half the 8.86 kg main (and only) mass, so about 3200g
will be for sale.

Here are some photos...
Main Mass before cutting:
http://www.mhmeteorites.com/images/main_mass4_small.jpg>

Complete Slice: <http://www.mhmeteorites.com/images/spade.jpg>

Notice that this meteorite is crammed with tiny bits of metal. The most
metal I have seen in an H-chondrite. The matix is dark grey in color and
contains tiny vesicles.

Here is some reading (thanks to Dr. Alan Rubin)...
<http://www.mhmeteorites.com/pubs/spade_meteorite.pdf>

Meteoritical Bulletin listing
<http://meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/mb87.pdf>

Let me know if you have questions.