[meteorite-list] Re: [meteoritecollectorsassociation] Opinions Wanted re: "Stony Meteorite"

From: Roman Nakonechny <uraninut239__at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:35 2004

Howdy John,
                It sure looks like it might be Nickel Ore. I have a
beautiful chunk of nickel ore that my daughter found when we were walking on
R.R. tracks by a park. The slow LOCO'S carry some of the most interesting
ores and when overloaded we pick up the ones strewn about a slightly shaky
bend . I think we have a 1/2 lb. piece of iridium, not sure yet. Try finding
some of the ores ,processed or in natural state, I guarantee you you wont .
Any dealers , if you sell exotic metals, processed or natural ores, I'd be
glad to talk to you- legal stuff, of course. Could I ask if there are any
metal processing plants near you John- steel mill in particular. And how
reliable is the "witnessed fall" story accompaying the stony specimen?. Can
you make out any fusion crust , I mean with flow lines and contraction
cracks, thumb-prints (regmaglypts) - who came up with that name for
"hyper-velocity frictionally removed material from a pre-impact meteor",
just as bad I guess :-). Regmaglypts it is. Seriously , I've sent specimens
to a Dr. Kring and Professor Swindel (real name) at the University of
Arizona- Lunar and Planetary Sciences Bldg.. they were one among the
scientists who proved the existence of the Jurassic Extinction Event Crater
somewhere around Central America, I think?, I know it's around there but the
exact name escapes me for now. Or send it to Bob Haag- THE METEORITE MOGUL
MAN- he's a very nice guy to talk to and he loves identifying piles of rocks
sent to him from all over the globe. If he can't I.D. it he also sends them
to the University of Arizona scientists. You cant go wrong with those guy's
- their 50lb. brains and glad to help attitudes are great. They will I.D.
the sucker. I hope this has been helpful. GOOD LUCK