[meteorite-list] If a meteorite falls unwitnessed in the forest, would black bear's paws get burnt?

From: Howard Wu <freewu2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:33 2004

--0-1320929699-1060905642=:58436

Hello Jose and list,
I didn't have last years calender in front of me so I guessed the date( "?" ) That would have been Sept. 20,2002. While it was a very nice meteor, it is one of many see everyday on this planet. We are in a relatively unpopulated part of California. However, if heard of anybody knowledgable north of me who saw this, perhap a triangulation would be possible. Anyhow I hope Jim spend his time enjoying the mountains. With all the rocks up there his changes of finding this or any find would be a miracle.
Following up on the subject of an educated public, only my recent enlightement as a meteorite collector would have me notice the direction and the break up of this bolide.
Howard Wu
  Jose Campos &lt;josecamposcomet_at_netcabo.pt&gt; wrote: Hi List and Howard Wu,

It is a pity that the witnessed bolide appears to have gone "unreported", as it's thanks to some useful information, often given by the public at large, that data can be obtained in order to help the recovery of a possible meteorite. Of course, the quality of the info is crucial. Anyway, I sure join Howard in wishing Jim Stroupe a great meteorite find during his trip! Yes, keep your eyes peeled. By the way, please allow me a minor correction: If that fireball was seen on a FRIDAY Sept/2002 - it could only have been seen on the 6th, 13th, 20th or 27th - 17th was a Tuesday.
Have a safe trip Jim.

José Campos

----- Original Message ----- From: Howard Wu