[meteorite-list] Meteorite Almost Hits 10-Year-Old Boy In Australia

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:32 2004

http://www.news24houston.com/content/headlines/?ArID=12416&SecID=2

Meteorite almost hit 10-year-old boy
Associated Press
August 10, 2003

Sydney, Australia (AP) -- Jennifer Ellis says a suspected meteorite narrowly
missed her ten-year-old son.

She says her son Anthony was playing outside their home near Perth, Australia
when he noticed an oddly shaped object in the sky, about the size of a bird,
heading toward him.

The boy ducked behind a car.

Jennifer Ellis says the object smashed into the driveway and shattered, leaving a
large hole in the driveway.

Her son was not hurt.

Ellis plans to send some of the flying debris to the Perth Observatory for testing.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/10/1060454067379.html

'Meteorite' narrowly misses Perth boy
The Sydney Morning Herald
August 10, 2003

Fragments of what could be a meteorite which narrowly
missed a 10-year-old boy when it smashed into his driveway
would be scientifically tested in Perth, the youngster's mother
said today.

Anthony Elliss-Galati saw an odd-shaped object in the sky,
heading towards him on Thursday as he played outside his
Safety Bay home, about 50km south of Perth.

Anthony told his mother Jennifer Elliss he hid behind her car
and watched the bird-sized object smash a hole in the
driveway and shatter.

"I heard something hit the bitumen and then Anthony came
inside and said there were rocks coming out of the sky," Ms
Elliss said.

"He then handed me a piece and it didn't look like a normal
rock - it was dull on the inside and silver on the outside and
looked as if it had melted."

Ms Elliss said she went outside and was surprised at the
large hole the flying debris had left.

"Anthony said he had seen it coming across the park and had
to duck down behind my car to avoid being hit by it," she said.

Ms Elliss said although it was not massive, she believed the
object was a meteorite.

"The pieces look exactly like a real meteorite I saw when I
was a kid."

Ms Elliss has contacted the WA Museum and the Perth
Observatory and will be taking the fragments to Perth
tomorrow to have them scientifically tested.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,6902384%255E662,00.html

Down to earth
The Herald Sun (Australia)
August 10, 2003

A BOY has narrowly escaped being struck by a suspected meteorite.

Anthony Elliss-Galati, 10, was standing in the driveway of his Perth
home when a rock came hurtling out of the sky.

"I saw it coming and it was getting closer and closer and I couldn't
see if it was a bird or a jet or a plane, but it was coming straight
at me so I jumped out the way real quick," he said.

Anthony went running into the house to his mother Jennifer, yelling:
"Mum, there are rocks coming out of the sky."

Ms Elliss said she found a dent in the driveway surrounded by fragments of
rock with a silver shine. She has con tacted the WA Museum to determine
if the fragments came from a meteorite or some space junk.