[meteorite-list] Meteorite Collecting Ban

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:31 2004

Hi Eric, Dr. Grossman and all,

Starbits Wrote:

>>Another comparison would be total mass. We know that NWA 869 has been estimated
>>at 1500-2000kg alone. What is the mass of all the Antarctic meteorites?<<

This is and would be an important consideration. I have noticed that a lot of the
Antarctic falls are sometimes very small. Total mass would shed an interesting
correlation to non-Antarctic finds. The significance of individual unique falls though
can be over looked from a science advantage point.

Also the Antarctic falls are from hundreds and thousands of years ago. Perhaps as much
as 800,000 years ago, so there is a concentration of the falls on the ice sheets which
may be distorting the numbers more. I am sure there are some things I haven't thought
of or might be mistaken about.

Respectfully and my best!

--AL Mitterling