[meteorite-list] Meteorite Collecting Ban

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:31 2004

You are right; it is hard to compare the statistics. Many or most of the
described multi-fragment Saharan meteorites are those that decrepitated in
place in the much harsher weathering environment of hot deserts compared
with cold ones. Meteorites that formed strewn fields get just as many
numbers in the Sahara as in Antarctica (one per specimen). I grant you
that there are at least hundreds and maybe thousands of commercial stones
that don't ever get classified, as I said in my last posting... can anybody
estimate the actual number? You also have to remember that, according to
reports, many Saharan meteorites are intentionally broken up prior to being
described, which drives the statistics in the opposite direction.

I don't think total mass is a useful number because the statistics are
dominated by a few outliers. You really have to go to pairing-corrected
statistics. Lindstrom estimated that the average pairing group among
antarctic specimens is ~5, which lowers the total number of separate
Antarctic meteorites to about 4000. There are many pairings also among
commercially collected meteorites, although I don't know if anybody has
estimated the ratio in the same way as Lindstrom did. The average pairing
group among separately collected meteorites has got to be at least 3, I
would guess. So you take the 4000 or so commercial meteorites, and let's
allow an equal number of unclassified/undescribed stones, making
8000. Divide by my conservative 3, and you still have >2x as many unique
Antarctic meteorites as commercial ones. But let's face it... you can't
get even close to statements that were made indicating that 95% of new
meteorites are commercially collected ones.

As for rare meteorites, which I will define as non-ordinary-chondrites,
there are 1550 from Antarctica and 467 from commercial collections. So the
ratio of antarctic:commercial meteorites is 3:1 instead of the raw number
of 3.5:1 among total meteorites, enhanced by the "high-grading" that goes
on in the commercial sector. Commercial meteorites are still
overwhelmingly ordinary chondrites.

jeff