[meteorite-list] Meteorite Collecting Ban

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:31 2004

Without taking sides in this debate, I can help get the statistics straight.

73% of classified and published meteorites are Antarctic (source Metbase
v6.0, total 20,366 of 27,732 meteorites ).

Of the remaining meteorites, ~56% (~4100) of them are in numbered series
directly attributable to commercial collection. Perhaps 100-200 others
without numbered names were recently collected in this fashion. I was not
able to get a handle on the number of meteorites attributable to Nininger's
efforts, but it is probably several hundred. Allowing 400 for the latter
two cases, we find that ~17% of all published meteorites have been
systematically collected for profit.

Of course, you have to augment these numbers for unclassified/undescribed
meteorites. I don't know how many Saharan meteorites go undescribed, but
there are more than 1000 with provisional names. Assuming these are all
meteorites, and using 1200 as the number we can bump the totals up to:

70% of all known meteorites are Antarctic
20% of all known meteorites have been collected commercially.
The remaining 10% include all the falls and sporadic finds throughout history.

jeff