[meteorite-list] "I found a meteorite and..."

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:29 2004

Hello List,
I just returned from a meeting with a young lady who claimed she had found
a meteorite and wanted to know how to go about selling it. Any of you that
have had contacts similar to this know that the prudent thing to do is ask
a bunch of questions before committing to any investment in travel
time. She answered all of my questions and since she was local, I decided
to go ahead and meet with her.

Arriving at our agreed meeting place, I was greeted by an attractive young
woman who thanked me for taking the time to meet with her. She reached into
her purse and pulled our her "meteorite."

John Gwilliam - 0
Prospective Meteorite Finders - 52

My heart did it's usual sinking technique that it's so familiar with by
now. This was the 52nd person I've met with only to find that their
"meteorite" was furnace slag, basalt or an old iron milling ball. But,
having read Michael Blood's "New Blood" idea earlier in the morning, I
decided to spend some time with this young gal and plant a few "meteorite
seeds" with hope that they might grow into something.

I showed here some real meteorites, gave her the URLs of some good websites
to visit, and convinced her she ought to visit the Tucson Show next
February. After talking for a few minutes more, I saw that the initial
disappointment in her eyes was replaced with new found curiosity and
excitement. I'm quite sure she will show up at the Inn Suites come next
February.

best,

John Gwilliam