[meteorite-list] Updates Qs and As

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:29 2004

Dear List Members,

We are still receiving numerous emails regarding a few things we are working
with. I will address this to the list in hopes of saving some time later.
Here are some questions and answers:

Q. What is the status of the Park Forest splash-forms?
A. Inconclusive, the O-isotopes place this material with CI chondrites not
the L5 range
     as would be expected if this was part of the Park Forest fall. We have
no answer
     for this very strange result. Scientists refer to this material as
"Damn Crazy Glass"
     so we will leave it at that.

Q. What are the subclasses of the mesosiderites you are working with?
A. Provisionally NWA 1878 is a 2B, provisionally NWA 1879 is a 2C and our
     unserialized mesosiderite has not received enough study to make a
determination.
     Two separate laboratories are trying to sort this out.

Q. Just how many "Olivine Diogenites" are there now and are you sure that
your
     find, NWA 1459 is not paired with your new acquisition, NWA 1877?
A. Fair question, there are only five, three of which are from Antartica.
NWA 1459 and
    NWA 1877 have numerous differences which will be addressed in an
abstract
    proving they are not paired. A definition is being written for this new
main class which
    will differentiate between Olivine-bearing (<10% olivine),
Olivine-rich(10-20%
    olivine) and an Olivine Digenite (over 20% olivine). This data is
provisional and is
    subject to change in the future. As it stands now, there only five
"Olivine Diogenites."

Q. Where did our non-NWA lunar come from and why is it taking so long to get
formal
      paperwork?
A. The non-NWA lunar came from Egypt, a very thorough study is being
performed
     in order to produce a major document, a Ph.D. paper. Do not worry, the
specimens
    we provided have been double checked at the UofW and are definitely
lunar.

Q. Why are you guys so secretive about the material you are working on?
A. We try not to be too secretive but want to respect works-in-progress by
scientist
     who in some cases want to present an abstract for publication. It is
hard not to jump
     the gun sometimes when dealing with classifications. We try to be 99%
sure of what
     we are dealing with before offering to the public. If we are not 100%
sure we will
     note this when referencing the material, most of the time using the
word provisional.

Q. What are you working on now that is special?
 A. We are working on a couple of hard to describe, one-of-a-kind meteorites
with no
      way to fit into the current classification system as they have never
been found
      before. One of these is so interesting that it was questioned if it
was even a
      meteorite which has since been proven. We literally study hundreds of
suspected
      meteorites a year in hopes of finding new interesting material and it
seems to be
      working, at least for now.

Thank you for your patience regarding this long post. It is our hope that
it answers some frequently asked questions. If you ever have a question
feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer.

Wishing everybody the very best,

Adam and Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection
IMCA 2185