[meteorite-list] Re: Red lake Meteorite?

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:28 2004

Hello List,

Last month there was a question raised about the Red
Dry Lake AZ meteorites. I didn't see any replies to
that post, but even if there were, I have some more
information that I can add.

The defining document for these meteorites is:

Meteoritical Bulletin No. 86 - page 13, Table 3.
<http://meteoriticalsociety.org/bulletin/mb86.pdf>

It isn't just one meteorite, so we've gone to
numbering all the individual stones. (Actually, this
is a NomComm naming convention that they've had in
place for dry lake meteorite finds going all the way
back to even before Beer Bottle Pass!;-)

You don't have to have your "stone" classified in
order to get a number. That's right folks, we've gone
to a provisional numbering system (just like NWAs) for
all dry lake meteorite finds. But to get your number
into the Met. Bulletin, you have to have it
classified.
(Again, just like the NWAs.)

It's a familiar process. Except that there is a
common interest to keep the numbering sequence as
close as possible to the chronologic order in which
the finds were made. So, in regards to Red Dry Lake,
and because I have from there another 11 more stones
"in line" to go into the next edition of the MetBull,
we have a vested interest to get any earlier made
finds "in line" ahead of mine in order to keep the
chronological order to the numbering sequence.

If you have a dry lake meteorite from "the Americas"
don't call Jutta for a number. Contact Dr. Rhian
Jones <rjones_at_unm.edu> at the University of New
Mexico.
If you give her a find date, and after she checks to
see if there are any previously reported finds, she
will be able to get back to you with a provisional
number.

But I wouldn't do it this week. Everyone is at the
MetSoc Meeting in Münster, Germany. Coincidently,
they had a very important meeting today. Topics of
discussion involved the Nomenclature Committee
policies and the Meteoritical Bulletin. Proposed
changes to these processes were discussed. The
outcome of today's meeting will be of great interest
to certain people on this List. Hopefully, that
"outcome" will be announced soon, so that I can
include it in my article for this month's
MeteoriteTimes.

But in the meanwhile, if you have any questions,
particularly about Red Dry Lake, feel free to contact
me.

Regards,
Bob V.
http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/willcox/redlall4.jpg