[meteorite-list] Free Dessicant!

From: Fred Olsen <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:08 2004

Jeanne,
You are just doing a different it. Apples versus Oranges so to speak.
Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor, VCI, products are papers and plastics that
release volatile chemicals that adhere to iron and forms a protective
molecular layer on the surface of the metal. This protective layer prevents
moisture, salt , dirt, oxygen, and other materials from depositing on the
metal and causing corrosion. I have seen demonstrations where VCI treated
metal is submerged under water for weeks and there was no corrosion, while
an identical untreated piece of iron is severally rusted.
It wouldn't hurt to both, but if I were only going to do one, I think the
VCI will be far more effective.
 Regards, Fred