[meteorite-list] Protecting irons

From: Michael Gallant <miga_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:08 2004

Hello Pekka, Lars, Nels and List,

Most of the specimens I collect are small (25 to 400 gram) Irons and my
approach has been to treat them as if they are unprotected and had been
(and will be) handled by sweaty, chloride rich hands. Being able to
"feel" the texture seems very important to most of us, including me, so
I encourage the handling.

The anhydrous alcohol wash technique has been around for many years and
as suggested by Eric Twelker, of
http://www.meteoritemarket.com/preserv.htm making a care plan goes a
long way to help keep ones' "passion" healthy.

I guess the preservation finish is the most challenging for me as it
requires a careful blend of art and science. The acrylic and epoxy
"look" and "feel" sometimes detract but unless the finish is cracked or
pealing, I need do nothing as the alcohol should not penetrate... I
hope! For the trouble and expense of using epoxy, there must be good
reason... just my way of thinking.

I do prefer the feel and look of a wax surface to that of oil or grease
if I have to do restoration (acetone stripper or worst case, MEK!, then
Steve Schoner's hydroxide / alcohol cure). Again, I take the suggestion
of Eric Twelker and when possible use the microcrystalline wax.

Just my thoughts, hoping this was helpful.
mike