[meteorite-list] Free Dessicant!

From: Mark Langenfeld <mlangen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:14:07 2004

> I can do cheaper! Shoe stores generally have TONS of little packets of
> dessicant that they will part with for nothing! I tuck a packet
behind the
> padding in all my Riker mounts, just in case. Seems to work great,
but then
> again Alaska is usually pretty dry.
>
> Jeanne Devon

The little dessicant packets are probably ineffective if they've been
"in service" for awhile by the time you get them. They can be
"restored" to some extent by baking them in an oven for awhile (driving
off the captured moisture). I can't recall the recommended temperature
and bake time, but some of the larger packets I've encountered had
fairly detailed instructions printed on them (along with the "Do Not
Eat!" caution).

Mark