[meteorite-list] Exploding Nantan & "charity begins at home"

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:11 2004

--part1_1d0.8489b45.2bde3f1e_boundary

Please pardon the (somewhat) off-topic direction of this post.

A year or two ago, I posted a story and picture to the list(s), about a
Nantan specimen I had, which loudly and comprehensively disintegrated in the
wee hours one night, on a bookshelf a few feet from where I was typing away
(list-posting no doubt). Scared the cookies out of me at the time, as it had
been a quiet, serene evening up until then, but made for a mildly amusing
meteoritical anecdote.

Since that time I haven't quite known what to do with the pieces....not small
enough to throw away, not big enough to display (not pretty enough to
display, either!), not valuable enough to make ebay worthwhile. I have an
idea. Every year I participate in a motorcycle rally for the Pediatric Brain
Tumor Foundation, to raise money for medical research for, well, obviously
for the charity's "title role." Everyone who rides in the rally collects
donation checks up front from friends/family, and also pays an "admission"
for inclusion in the ride. This year's ride is May 18th -- for everyone who
sends me a $5 check, made out to "PBTFUS" (a return address label and/or
postage would be a nice touch, too ;-) I'll send a couple of small pieces of
extremely boring, ugly Nantan (those last four words are redundant, I guess).
 This is hardly "cornerstone of the collection" stuff, but surely a kid or
class or Scout troop, etc., would rather have some than not. And for those
in the higher tax brackets, the five quid would be tax-deductible, of course.
  ;-)

For any with further interest in the effort: <A HREF="http://www.pbtfus.org/ride4kid.htm">http://www.pbtfus.org/index.htm</A>
and <A HREF="http://www.ride4kids.org/">http://www.ride4kids.org</A>. Thanx all, address below.

   J. Gregory Wilson
   2118 Wilshire Blvd. #918
   Santa Monica, CA 90403

--part1_1d0.8489b45.2bde3f1e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Please pardon the (somewhat) off-topic direction of this post.<BR>
<BR>
A year or two ago, I posted a story and picture to the list(s), about a Nant=
an specimen I had, which loudly and comprehensively disintegrated in the wee=
 hours one night, on a bookshelf a few feet from where I was typing away (li=
st-posting no doubt).&nbsp; Scared the <I>cookies</I> out of me at the time,=
 as it had been a quiet, serene evening up until then, but made for a mildly=
 amusing meteoritical anecdote.<BR>
<BR>
Since that time I haven't quite known what to do with the pieces....not smal=
l enough to throw away, not big enough to display (not <I>pretty</I> enough=20=
to display, either!), not valuable enough to make ebay worthwhile.&nbsp; I h=
ave an idea.&nbsp; Every year I participate in a motorcycle rally for the <B=
>Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation</B>, to raise money for medical research f=
or, well, obviously for the charity's "title role."&nbsp; Everyone who rides=
 in the rally collects donation checks up front from friends/family, and als=
o pays an "admission" for inclusion in the ride.&nbsp; This year's ride is M=
ay 18th -- for everyone who sends me a $5 check, made out to "<B>PBTFUS</B>"=
 (a return address label and/or postage would be a nice touch, too ;-) I'll=20=
send a couple of small pieces of extremely boring, ugly Nantan (those last f=
our words are redundant, I guess).&nbsp; This is hardly "cornerstone of the=20=
collection" stuff, but surely a kid or class or Scout troop, etc., would rat=
her have some than not.&nbsp;&nbsp; And for those in the higher tax brackets=
, the five quid would be tax-deductible, of course.&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
For any with further interest in the effort:&nbsp; <A HREF=3D"http://www.pbt=
fus.org/ride4kid.htm">http://www.pbtfus.org/index.htm</A> and <A HREF=3D"htt=
p://www.ride4kids.org/">http://www.ride4kids.org</A>.&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanx all,=
 address below.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; J. Gregory Wilson<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; 2118 Wilshire Blvd. #918&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Santa Monica, CA 90403 </FONT></HTML>

--part1_1d0.8489b45.2bde3f1e_boundary--