[meteorite-list] Dumb Question - Micro Mount

From: mafer <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:10 2004

Hi Bob
Good question. And it has a lengthy answer. Micromounts generally cover
specimens which are thumbnail or so sized and smaller. With the thumbnail
sized ones being termed that when refering to size. In meteorites, its
often the case that one has a specimen which is larger than your thumbnail,
but small enough to get lost in a deep shag carpet, and so its placed in one
of the now many forms of display boxes and loosely called a micro.
Bout the only time you won't hear a micro called such is when its a complete
individual and has a goodly amount of fusion crust. People like to play up
the individuality of the piece and calling it a micro kinda takes away from
it in that sense.
Hope I've made this clear as mud for you. Its really in the eye of the
beholder and from different points of view.
Mark