[meteorite-list] Tektites and Park Forest continued...

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:10 2004

Dear John and List,
    I asked Mr. Futrell the same question as an explanation for the formation of
Indochinites. His answer was no! There IS tektite literature that I have come
across recently about this subject (sorry I don't have the reference at hand).
If one looks at the glassy surface of Camel Donga, one can conclude that glass
was shed on its inward flight. I have also seen one Millibille (sp?) with a
glass tip at the trailing end.
    Yes, high iron content glass is magnetic. Many Iron Age glass beads are
magnetic because of their iron content.
     My samples of glass collected from Dow Corning glass wool insulation are in
the US, so I cannot tell you if they are magnetic or not. I would guess not as
iron is a conductor and insulation materials would work better without the iron.
>From the wool samples, I have collected spheres and other shapes which look like
tektites.
    Let us await the results of the analysis. Sincerely, Dirk Ross...Tokyo