[meteorite-list] New Member - Lots of Questions

From: Mark Jackson <b0rtz2003_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

--0-1107229862-1051157276=:70167

I'd like to say that I am really happy to be a member and that I hope the feeling is mutual with the membership later after I've torn the place up with "brilliant" questions. I will try to scan the archives to eliminate questions I have that are sure to be commonplace. I am a junior level prospector with greater than average knowledge of physics, astronomy, geology and geography. My weakest area in that bunch is geology especially rock identification and description. The only way to change that is to get out there and try, which I have been doing for about 6 months. Before you laugh too hard, let me get to the punchline . . . I am prospecting full time. Every day. I will make a living at it because I must. Let me clarify that meteoritics will only be a small part of my prospecting business, but it will be an important one. For the last couple of months I have been exploring in the Colorado Desert of Southern California. I believe I have discovered a strewn field of impact ejecta that includes nickel-rich gra
phite nodules, nickel fused to target sediment (impact melt), and spherules. The target sediment seems to be calcerous limestone brecciated with some other stuff. Believe it or not, I believe I have observed nanodiamonds in some of the impact pieces. It seems this material is exposed to the surface in this locale because of natural erosional processes. I also believe that the exposed layer is the K/T layer, which would lead me to classify the material as Chicxulub distal ejecta. Yes Chicxulub, the dinosaur killer. This impact material showed up in the middle of my study of the countless lava bombs that litter this area. I believe Chicxulub caused a mantle wave to pass thru which exploded thru the vocanoes with enormous force. But that's another story My questions to you are:How can I identify/certify this material? I am working to secure a digital camera so I can show pics of this stuff . . . some of this stuff is really great. Regards,Mark

--0-1107229862-1051157276=:70167

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>I'd like to say that I am really happy to be a member and that I hope the feeling is mutual with the membership later after I've torn the place up with "brilliant" questions. I will try to scan the archives to eliminate&nbsp;questions I have that are sure to be commonplace.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am a junior level prospector with greater than average knowledge of physics, astronomy, geology and geography. My weakest area in that bunch is geology especially rock identification and description. The only way to change that is to get out there and try, which I have been doing for about 6 months. Before you laugh too hard, let me get to the punchline . . . I am prospecting full time. Every day. I will make a living at it because I must. Let me clarify that meteoritics will only be a small part of my prospecting business, but it will be an important one.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For the last couple of months I have been exploring in the Colorado Desert of Southern California. I believe I have discovered a&nbsp;strewn field of impact ejecta that includes nickel-rich graphite nodules, nickel fused to target sediment (impact melt), and spherules. The target sediment seems to be calcerous limestone brecciated with some other stuff. Believe it or not, I believe I have observed nanodiamonds in some of the impact pieces.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It seems this material is exposed to the surface in this locale because of natural erosional processes. I also believe that the exposed layer is the K/T layer, which would lead me to classify the material as Chicxulub distal ejecta. Yes Chicxulub, the dinosaur killer. This impact material showed up in the middle of my study of the countless lava bombs that&nbsp;litter this area. I believe Chicxulub caused a mantle wave to pass thru&nbsp;which exploded thru the vocanoes with enormous force. But that's another story</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My questions to you are:How can I identify/certify this material?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am working to secure a digital camera so I can show pics of this stuff . . .&nbsp;some of this stuff is really great.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
--0-1107229862-1051157276=:70167--