[meteorite-list] Only 25 per year?

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:08 2004

Hi All,

I had to smile at this sentence from the Tryon Daily Bulletin news
story that Ron posted:

"Outside of Antarctica, genuine meteorites are found at a rate of about
25 per year; of these five to 10 are recovered from observed falls,"
said Cooper.

Clearly Cooper also should have excluded northwest Africa, Oman, and
some other hot desert locations, but even so, I suspect that the
25-per-year rate ceased being an accurate figure more than 5 years
ago. I found a dozen unpaired meteorites in 2001, and at least that
many in 2002, and I'm certainly not responsible for half the worldwide
finds outside of Antarctica/Sahara/Oman. It wouldn't surprise me if
our list members were collectively responsible for finding 50 or more
new meteorites in each of the last three years.

Cheers,
Rob