[meteorite-list] unique stuff?

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:10 2004

Iīm never opposed to that, that makes every collecting a kind of
 "personally"
thing. I have collected a lot of stories about the finnish falls, and
just few weeks
ago met the grandchildrens of the witness of the Marjalahti-fall in a
show. They
were not interrested in meteorites, but we spent a very interresting
hour discussing
about the history of this fall, and to me this discussion gave "faces"
to this fall.

I have been collecting and dealing with minerals some 15 years, and
during this time
I have sold and bought items for many different reasons, for the beauty
of them,
for the rarity of them and also because of the story behind the item. I
have overpaid
for items with stories and sold items under market-price, if I have
noticed, the item
have had some "higher" values for the customer.

Meteorites themselves tell a long, long story, and some times they make
human feel
quite small, this is just one aspect, and the "back-story" to me, there
are also many
"smaller" stories, and in fact I collect also them. The ancient stories
like Nantan with
the dragons and so on are pictures of their time, and so are Peekskill
or PF now. Also
we have to remember, these things are "once a lifetime" cases, and so
they have huge
immaterial values to keep and tell to the next generations.

So, I donīt see any reason to arque, why we are collecting or what we
are collecting,
if some item makes me happy, I donīt need more reasons.

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4