[meteorite-list] NP Article, 07-1934 Nininger Hunts Meteorite

From: Paul Heinrich <lenticulina1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:10 2004

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 15:22:20 -0500, almitt wrote:

>In 69 years we have went from $1.00 a pound to an
>average of $3 or $4 a gram (about $1,500 a pound)
>(not counting park forest which is sure to make
>ripples in the meteorite market $9,000 a pound
>average). That is an increase of about 10% a
>year (depending on how you figure).

At that rate of increase in price, a person has to
wonder when a private company could launch an
unmanned spacecraft to go out onto space to collect
chunks of rocks and bring them back to sell instead
of waiting for them to fall to Earth as meteorites.

Read Ron Baalke's post, "Reaching For The Asteroids"
at:
http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2003-April/019868.html
Using this technology, maybe a company could locate a
nice chunk of Martian shergottite, chassignite, or
nakhlite and bring it back to Earth. At least the
spacecraft could locate one of these and nudge it
into an orbit that cause fall on the company's
property. Maybe this might become a new form of
private enterprise in space.

Who Knows?

Yours

Paul