[meteorite-list] Test for Nickle

From: Ryan Darby <rdarby_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:08 2004

I asked this yesterday of everyone around me (I work in a laboratory
software company, overrun with chemists.).

What you do is get some oxidizing acid. Hydrochloric may work, but you
need something aggressive like Nitric acid.=20
Powder some sample, and in a glass jar add some acid. It should all turn
a bright green color, like lime cordial. You may need to stand the glass
jar in a sink of warm water, to warm the whole thing.=20
Basically you are creating nickel nitrate, by oxidizing the nickel.=20

However, I don't know anything about this, am not a chemist, have not
done this myself. Do at your own risk. I don't think Nitric acid is
readily available either. I suspect that the nickel test kits are just
pool acid (HCl), which will turn it green, but is not enough for low
amount of Nickel.=20

Also depends on the form of the nickel. If it's nickel silicate, won't
work.=20

Remember that acid and kids and pets don't mix.=20

I am going to get a price from a commercial laboratory for such a test.
There are a lot of them around here.=20

Cheers
Ryan