[meteorite-list] COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

From: Dennis Harries <dennis_harries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:06 2004

<P>Dear Sterling,</P>
<P><EM>"I think that perhaps instead of Europe being old and wise, it is<BR>adolescent and wise ass, like a gaggle of teenagers spoiled rotten by having<BR>been excessively sheltered and pampered and saved from having to deal with<BR>disagreeable reality, until they fall into the delusion that Mummy and Daddie<BR>are just boorish dolts who know nothing and whose every act is an<BR>embarassment, while they, having formed all their opinions by the process of<BR>turning everything they should know upsidedown, know it all."</EM><BR></P>
<P>I&nbsp;might take this personally, but&nbsp;I will keep it as a very bad example of allegory. </P>
<P>I´m proud to to be a part of the modern&nbsp;european community, I live in Germany.&nbsp;</P>
<P>If I take a step out of the door and go in any direction I will very soon reach the remnants of a very unfortunate european history - the demarkation line between the former east and west,&nbsp;the concentration camps, the remaining ruins&nbsp;of Dresden and other towns. There was a concentration camp some kilometres to the south&nbsp;where the nazis build V2-missiles,&nbsp;prisoners&nbsp;had to dig&nbsp;large tunnels into the mountain. The unfortunated&nbsp;ones who did not survive this were just cemented into the concrete walls. I´ve been&nbsp;in this place last year, I cannot describe the feelings standings in these dark tunnels withe the debris of rock, steel and those things you don´t see (but you know they are there and you know what I mean) around you,&nbsp;I&nbsp;was pretty close to hear&nbsp;my own heart beat.</P>
<P>When I was just about nine years old, the iron curtain fell, I had no idea of politics, but I knew that there was something going on, things became different (we just lived some 30 kilometres from the german-german border&nbsp;to the east). After all, the revolution of 1989&nbsp;happened without violence.</P>
<P>I´m 21 now and I grew up with all these kinds of&nbsp;"experiences",&nbsp;and THIS is the education I got and THIS does not make me be a pacifist, but makes me THINK. </P>
<P>And in my opinion and in the opinion of many, many other europeans -&nbsp;who may have had their own experiences with our history in whatever ways - the&nbsp;possibilities to solve the conflict in Iraq&nbsp;peacefully were not used to their full extent, because there have been other economical and political considerations that led to this war. I am happy with the people of Iraq who will now hopefully encounter a more fortunate&nbsp;future without Saddam, but I still think that this&nbsp;might have been achived without the aditional loss of lives. So I am agains this war.</P>
<P>Europe is a great place to have friends, our diversity defines us&nbsp;and I, for my part, will kick&nbsp;every fascists ass, who tries to&nbsp;abuse this in the old manner (like Mr. Milosevic, just one example).</P>
<P>This for the next five years</P>
<P>Dennis&nbsp; Harries&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>