[meteorite-list] meteorite collecting...for the rich?

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:05 2004

--part1_183.191f51c3.2bc3f1bf_boundary

After making my way through a few hundred list-posts tonight, I've forgotten
who said (and agreed with) the notion that meteorite collecting is "for the
rich," but I'd offer two thoughts. First, I had several ebay auctions close
over the weekend. One bidder won a 6.1g Imilac pallasite individual, a real
little cutie, for $6.50. Another bidder won a small specimen of Forestburg
(b), for the ONE DOLLAR minimum bid. There aren't too many
collectible-hobbies that regularly offer opportunities any more reasonable
than that, especially considering the uniqueness of the collectible itself!

Also, seems to me that activities which are "restricted to the rich" are
pretty relative. The writer (and those in agreement) list-posted their
thoughts with a computer and Internet access...there an awful lot of people
in the world who would consider access to those things as quite the luxury,
too.

       Gregory

--part1_183.191f51c3.2bc3f1bf_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
After making my way through a few hundred list-posts tonight, I've forgotten=
 who said (and agreed with) the notion that meteorite collecting is "for the=
 rich," but I'd offer two thoughts.&nbsp; First, I had several ebay auctions=
 close over the weekend.&nbsp; One bidder won a 6.1g Imilac <I>pallasite</I>=
 individual, a real little cutie, for $6.50.&nbsp; Another bidder won a smal=
l specimen of Forestburg (b), for the ONE DOLLAR minimum bid.&nbsp; There ar=
en't too many collectible-hobbies that regularly offer opportunities any mor=
e reasonable than that, especially considering the uniqueness of the collect=
ible itself!<BR>
<BR>
Also, seems to me that activities which are "restricted to the rich" are pre=
tty relative.&nbsp; The writer (and those in agreement) list-posted their th=
oughts with a computer and Internet access...there an awful lot of people in=
 the world who would consider access to <U>those</U> things as quite the lux=
ury, too.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_183.191f51c3.2bc3f1bf_boundary--