[meteorite-list] Park Forest - Round Two

From: Adam Hupe <adamhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:04 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C2FC28.D91C5800

Dear List,

Here we go again! I am personally glad to be home after spending five =
intense days in the so-called "Urban Strewnfield". For those of you who =
were not able to go you did not miss much. The weather was horrible, =
most of the neighborhood was rough and the greed was amazing. =20

My brother, Greg arrived yesterday and met up with Al Lang to pick up an =
entire bedroom that had been hammered by one of these stones. We will =
reconstruct the bedroom with the ceiling that had two holes punched in =
it, the venetian blinds that were split down the center, a metal =
windowsill with a huge impact crater and a mirror that was shattered, =
all hit by the same meteorite that thankfully missed a boy by inches as =
he was sleeping. This collection will be displayed proudly next to the =
Peekskill car in a private museum. We plan on possibly displaying the =
collection at the Tucson show next year if there is enough interest. We =
acquired several other impacted items from all over the strewn field and =
will integrate them into another interpretive display. This represents =
the world's largest collection of man-made objects impacted by =
meteorites. We feel it is important to preserve these historical items =
for future generations to enjoy. =20

On another note:
Why couldn't the meteorite have landed somewhere in a rural area?, maybe =
next time. I do not believe the prices would have been so high if the =
stones where recovered by farmers and ranch-hands. Word spread like =
wild fire in the Park Forest neighborhood about prices being realized =
for stones that hit things. These street-smart finders then played a =
lot of dealers and collectors in the field for as much money as they =
could get and now everybody is paying the price. You can blame dealers =
who lacked the patience to negotiate better prices and manage the =
situation in a professional manner for these high prices. Instead money =
was thrown around exciting the neighborhood into a feeding frenzy. I =
owned up to my part in this whole thing with a post called "Park Forest =
- the pulling of teeth". If I contributed in anyway to the high prices, =
I apologize. I admit there were a few times when we paid more than we =
should have.=20

Wishing everybody well,

Adam Hupe
IMCA 2185

 =20

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C2FC28.D91C5800

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear List,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here we go again!&nbsp; I am =
personally&nbsp;glad=20
to be&nbsp;home after spending five intense days in the so-called "Urban =

Strewnfield".&nbsp; For those of you who were not able to go you did not =
miss=20
much.&nbsp; The weather was horrible, most of the neighborhood was rough =
and the=20
greed was amazing.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My brother, Greg arrived yesterday and =
met up with=20
Al Lang to pick up an entire bedroom that&nbsp;had been hammered by one =
of these=20
stones.&nbsp;&nbsp;We will reconstruct the bedroom with the ceiling that =
had two=20
holes&nbsp;punched in it, the venetian blinds&nbsp;that were split down =
the=20
center, a metal windowsill with a huge impact crater and a mirror that =
was=20
shattered, all hit by the same meteorite that thankfully missed a boy by =
inches=20
as he was sleeping.&nbsp; This collection will be displayed proudly next =
to the=20
Peekskill car in a private museum.&nbsp; We plan on possibly displaying =
the=20
collection at the Tucson show next year if there is enough =
interest.&nbsp; We=20
acquired several other impacted items from all over the strewn field and =
will=20
integrate them into another interpretive display.&nbsp;This represents =
the=20
world's largest collection of man-made objects impacted=20
by&nbsp;meteorites.&nbsp;&nbsp;We feel it is important to preserve these =

historical items for future generations to enjoy.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On another note:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Why couldn't the meteorite have landed =
somewhere in=20
a rural area?, maybe next time.&nbsp; I do not believe the prices would =
have=20
been so high if the stones where recovered by farmers and =
ranch-hands.&nbsp;=20
Word spread like wild fire in the Park Forest neighborhood about prices =
being=20
realized for stones that hit things.&nbsp; These street-smart finders =
then=20
played a lot of dealers and collectors in the field for as much money as =
they=20
could get and now everybody is&nbsp;paying the price.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can =
blame=20
dealers who lacked the patience to negotiate better prices and manage =
the=20
situation in a professional manner for these high =
prices.&nbsp;&nbsp;Instead=20
money was thrown around exciting the neighborhood into a feeding =
frenzy.&nbsp;=20
I&nbsp;owned up to my part in this whole thing with a post called "Park =
Forest -=20
the pulling of teeth".&nbsp; If I contributed in anyway to the high =
prices, I=20
apologize.&nbsp; I admit there were a few times when we&nbsp;paid more =
than we=20
should have.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wishing everybody well,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Adam Hupe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>IMCA 2185</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0045_01C2FC28.D91C5800--