[meteorite-list] Good bye List

From: walter branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

Hi Tom, Steven, Ken, Mike, et al.,

On second thought...

Exactly. Knowledge and enjoyment (fun)
are what's important. Not what is sitting on
your shelf or display case.

At any given time my collection consists of maybe
a dozen specimens (not including micromounts.
I have numerous micros, most of which are ordinary
chondrites. I love ordinary chondrites).

I get a new specimen, study it like crazy, then
pass it on to someone else. Got a bunch
of them on ebay right now at cost or slighly higher
(no, not meant to be a plug). I also enjoy cutting
some into micromounts

Most people would be surprised to learn that my
"permanent" non-micromount collection at this time
consists of exactly six specimens, four of which
cost me less than .50/gram.

The other two, NWA 482 and Zagami, cost me slighly more
per gram..

...okay, a lot more :-)

 I am very proud of my collection.
One of my favorites in my collection is a 15 gram piece of
Sikhote-Alin shrapnel, a picture of which is on my site.
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/gallerysikhote-alin15.96.html

I paid $6.00 to Jim Strope March of last year for it. I am being
honest when I tell you that, if I had to chose between
that 15 gram shrapnel and 15 grams of Park Forest, I would chose
the shrapnel.

Tom, like you have a laughed over the things I have read over
the past week or so, particularly the maneuverings among dealers.
I got a small piece of Park Forest today in partial trade for some
other stuff (like money, :-) but I am not sure
if I will keep it. There is so much other, less expensive
material that interest me. Maybe I will study it for a while then pass it
on.

Just collect what interests you and what you can afford. Everyone's
different. Everyone has different wants, needs, resources, and
capabilities.

After all, it's just a hobby. We had my daughter's 4th birthday party today
http://www.branchmeteorites.com/temp/bday.jpg

There are obviously much more important things in life than meteorites.

-Walter

PS: We had my daughter's party at a playground type
place at the Savannah Mall, and in the back was a "Children's
Museum" which consisted of a row of display cases containing
fossils. I correctly identifed what appeared to be a 7kg
rusting Nantan in one of the cases. I turned to my wife and
said, "7 kg today...6.5 kg tomorrow."

www.branchmeteorites.com