[meteorite-list] Park Forest Question

From: walter branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

Hello Everyone,

List member Mike Groetz asked a question about Park Forest
earlier this week but I don't remember seeing many, if any, replies.
 My apologies if I missed the replies but I think his question is a good
one.

With all the hoopla surrounding Parl Forestr and the many
wonderful specimens being found, I would like to know what
steps are being made to insure that the specimens are being
legally obtained.

Now, I am NOT accusing anyone of any wrongdoing. It's just that
we all know that the owner of a meteorite find is the owner of the
property on which it fell, be it public or private, therefore it seems to
me that permission or some sort of arrangement would have to be
made with the property owners before a meteorite could be recovered.
Obviously, some dealers have paid the orginal finders for there specimens,
so there
would be sales receipts invloved but I am more interested in meteorite
collectors and dealers who happen to have found specimens themselves.

Again, I am not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, it's just
that I have read of holes being dug, large and small specimens
being found, and pieces are being sold even before the analysis of this
meteorite as been completed. Discoveries are being made seemingly
daily.

Earlier this week, I received an email from an individual who reported that
he found a suspected meteorite and here is an excerpt
of his email to me:

>The field is on BLM land in Nevada,
>so there shouldn't be a legal problem. I hope.

Of course, I have already emailed him but this is not atypical
of the many weekly emails I receive.

Anyway, I would appreciate any response.

-Walter