[meteorite-list] re Gutter Micros

From: Robert & Wendi Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:03 2004

I've got an enameled metal roof and intentional sections of back sloped
gutters with magnet traps to act as a magnetic and mechanical micro sluice
box, and I collect the dust about twice a year to go over under a
microscope. I've never collected anything larger than microspherules, but
it's a nice setup for those. I think that you could wait a lot of years for
an eye-visible specimen, even the size of a bb, and even then it would have
even odds of bouncing over the gutter.
The stuff I collect would pass through panty hose easily. In the area of a
strewnfield/block/city/etc, I think the results could be downright fun
though, and I'd be willing to bet there are a few backed up gutters in known
fall locations from the last twenty years that have never been checked.
-Robert : )