[meteorite-list] Another new meteorite fall!!

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:10:00 2004

Hello Jim and all,

Great article;-) Almost like a "Where's Waldo" picture. Really enjoyed it.
I wonder if Rob Elliott is on to this?
The paragraphs below from the article could almost be a new contest. How
many errors or bits of misinformation can you find?

As for the Park Forest portion of the article, I wonder who got the "sewer
meteorite"? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

Enjoy,
Frank

"Gareth James, a science and divinity teacher at Porthmadoc Grammar School
said the meteorite probably originated in the Van Allen belt - an enormous
debris field made up of comets and small moons, about a hundred million
miles from Earth. "Many meteors contain gold or diamonds," said Mr. Jones.
"They can be very, very valuable. One meteorite which was found at the North
Pole contains fossilized bacteria from Mars."

Astronomy experts in Cardiff said meteors that land on Earth are rare and
most are very small. "When you look up in the night sky and see shooting
stars, those are meteorites burning up in the air. Most are only the size of
a golf ball or a teacup. Only the hardest ones, made of iron and argon,
survive their super-hot reentry. If you see a meteor land, don't pick it
up," advises Mr. James. "You can imagine how very heated they get."

In a seemingly unrelated event last week in Chicago, Illinois (USA),
thousands of stone meteorites pelted a wealthy suburb of the "windy city."
Several stones punctured buildings, and one reprtedly went straight through
the street and ended up in an underground sewer. Another destroyed a
toaster. Determined meteorite collectors descended upon the area where they
paid up to $500 (?470) per ounce for the freshly fallen space rocks."