[meteorite-list] picture taking technique?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:33 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3116230767_888342_MIME_Part

Hi Tom,
       While I cannot be considered in any way an "expert" - there are
a few on this list. However, my conclusion on this topic is - it is
as complex - or simple - as "basic" photographic strategy and understanding,
in general. However, THE REAL "SECRET," in my opinion, boils down to
LIGHTING.
        There are many clever "tricks" like the one Steve told you of, that
can be VERY helpful. A decent book should be full of these. If you have
the space
to set up a decent setup - say 2 feet by 3 feet, you can do AMAZING stuff
that
will REALLY give your photos that "professional" look - and rather
cheaply, too, with just a few sheets of colored paper, white paper and,
if you get really carried away, a small frame with a sheet of white silk
to disburse lighting - but a couple of twist-neck lamps and some paper
will do wonders. Lighting is everything. And there are numerous little
"tricks" that make a world of difference.
       If you look in the archives, someone about 2 or 3 months ago had
some URL links to his work using a curved blue sheet of paper and a
couple of lams with taped over white paper to diffuse the light - the
results were quite impressive.
       Personally, I am a stone advocate for digital. There is little reason
to use anything else these days. It allows you to take endless numbers
of photos from various angles, lighting, etc. at no real cost at all,
instant
"feedback" so you can SEE what is or is not working, and it gives you
instant USE of the photos. Furthermore, these days, even a mediocre
digital camera is very impressive ("Frys Electronics" has one for $39)
- and the best ones are mind boggling (I have a Sony with a Zeis lens
that does everything but cook you meals - including shoot "mpgs"
which are small videos. Nikon makes a fabulous model, but I hear
it uses batteries faster than an 1959 Cadalac used gas).
       Best wishes, Michael