[meteorite-list] Wabar Pearls or Beads

From: Keith <littlejo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:32 2004

Anne wrote:

> I hope they are good enough but I am not so sure.
> 2 are of a Wabar pearl with black grainy interior.
> And 2 of another pearl showing WHITE interior.

Although I am too busy to go to the library, a quick
check of the references on the Wabar impact crater
show a number of citations that discuss the impact
melts created by this impact. Possibly, one of the
below reference might help.

The four that seem most promising are:

See, T. H., F. Hoerz, and A. V. Murali-A-V (1988) Two
types of impact melt from the Wabar Crater, Saudi Arabia.
Abstracts of Papers Submitted to the Lunar and Planetary
Science Conference. no. 19, Part 3; pp. 1053-1054. Lunar
and Planetary Science Conference. Houston, TX.

Spencer, L. J., (1933) Meteoric irons and silica glass
from the meteorite craters of Henbury, central Australia,
and Wabar, Arabia. Zentralblatt fuer Mineralogie,
Geologie und Palaeontologie, Abteilung A, Mineralogie
und Petrographie. vol. 4, pp. 142-143.

Spencer, L. J. and M. H. Hey (1977) Meteoric iron and
silica-glass from the meteorite craters of Henbury
(central Australia) and Wabar (Arabia). In Meteorite
craters, G. J. H. McCall, ed., pp. 99-124. Dowden,
Hutchinson and Ross. Stroudsburg, PA.

Wright, F. W., and P. W. Hodge-P-W (1981) A comparison of
the composition and morphology of spherules from
meteorite craters with those of deep sea spherules.
Meteoritics. vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 405.

A possibly promising article is:

Short, N. M. (1966) Shock-lithification of unconsolidated
rock materials. Science. vol. 154, no. 3747, pp. 382-384.

Other articles about the impact melts at the Wabar
Crater are:

Hoerz, F., D. W. Mittlefehld, and T. H. See (1991a)
Dissemination and fractionation of projectile material in
impact melts from the Wabar Crater, Saudi Arabia.
Abstracts for the 54th annual meeting of the Meteoritical
Society. LPI Contribution, no. 766, p. 94. Lunar and
Planetary Institute. Houston, TX.

Hoerz, F., D. W. Mittlefehld, and T. H. See (1991b)
Dissemination and fractionation of projectile material
in impact melts from the Wabar Crater, Saudi Arabia.
Meteoritics. vol. 26, no. 4, p. 346-347.

Hoerz, F., T. H. See, A. V. Murali, and D. P. Blachard
(1989) Heterogeneous dissemination of projectile
materials in the impact melts from Wabar Crater, Saudi
Arabia. Proceedings of the Lunar and Planetary Science
Conference. no. 19, pp. 697-709. Pergamon. New York, NY.

Mittlefehldt, D. W., T. H. See, and F. Hoerz (1992)
Dissemination and fractionation of projectile materials
in the impact melts from Wabar Crater, Saudi Arabia.
Meteoritics. vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 361-370.

See, T. H., J. H. Wagstaff, S. R. Yang, F. Hoerz, and G.
A. Kay (1996a) Small-scale compositional heterogeneity of
impact melts. Abstracts of Papers Submitted to the Lunar
and Planetary Science Conference. vol. 27, Part 3,
pp. 1169-1170.

See, T. H., J. H. Wagstaff, S. R. Yang, F. Hoerz, and G.
A. Kay (1996b) Small-scale compositional heterogeneity of
impact melts. Meteoritics and Planetary Science. vol. 31,
Supplement, p. 126.

Swayze, G. A., and R. f. Kokaly (1999) Spectral
detection of a 2.25-micron absorption band in impactites
formed from siliceous sediments; a new way to locate
shocked materials. Geological Society of America
Abstracts with Programs. vol. 31, no. 7, p. 122

Other article about the Wabar Craters are:

Almohandis, A. A. (1994) The Wabar Meteorite and its
impact crater, Saudi Arabia. Program with Abstracts -
Geological Association of Canada; Mineralogical
Association of Canada; Canadian Geophysical Union,
Joint Annual Meeting. vol. 19, p. 2, Geological
Association of Canada. Waterloo, ON, Canada.

Chao, E. C. T., J. J. Fahey, and J. Littler-Janet (1961)
Coesite from Wabar crater, near A1 Hadida, Arabia.
Science. vol. 133, no. 3456, pp. 882-883.

Johnson, P. H., D. D. Bogard, and F. Hoerz (1988) Shock-
implanted noble gases in samples from the Wabar impact
crater; implications for other terrestrial craters and
the surface of Mars. Abstracts of Papers Submitted to the
Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. no. 19, Part 2,
pp. 557-558.

Gibbons, R. V., F. Hoerz, and R. V. Morris (1975)
Fractionation of metallic spherules in Wabar, Henbury,
and Monturaqui impactites. Eos, Transactions, American
Geophysical Union. vol. 56, no. 12, Fall annual meeting,
p. 1017.

Grieve, R. A. F. (1992) Projectile identification in
impact melts. Meteoritics. vol. 27, no. 4, p. 324.

Marvin, U. B. (1976) The impact of Wabar. International
Geological Congress, Abstracts--Congres Geologique
Internationale, Resumes. no. 25, vol. 3, p. 925

McCall, G. J. H. (1977) The Wabar craters. In Meteorite
craters, G. J. H. McCall, ed., pp. 97-98. Dowden,
Hutchinson and Ross. Stroudsburg, PA.

McHone, J. H., and R. S. Dietz (1988) Arabian Peninsula;
known and suspected impact structures. Papers presented
at the 51st annual meeting of the Meteoritical Society.
Lunar and Planetary Institute, LPI Contribution no, 665,
p. D-1. Lunar and Planetary Institute. Houston, TX.

Morgan, J. H., M. Higuchi, R. Ganapathy, and E. Anders
(1975a) Meteoritic material in four terrestrial meteorite
craters. Lunar Science VI, Part II, Abstracts, pp. 575-577.
Lunar Science Institute, Houston, TX.

Morgan, J. W., H. Higuchi, B. Ganapathy, and E. Anders
(1975b) Meteoritic material in four terrestrial meteorite
craters. In Proceedings of the Sixth lunar science
conference; Volume 2, Chemical and isotopic studies,
R. B. Merrill, N. J. Hubbard, W. W. Mendell, and R. J.
Williams, eds., pp. 1609-1623. Pergamon Press. New York,
NY

Shoemaker, E. M., and J. C. Wynn (1997) Geology of the
Wabar meteorite craters, Saudi Arabia. Abstracts of
Papers Submitted to the Lunar and Planetary Science
Conference. no. 28, Part 3, pp. 1313-1314. Lunar and
Planetary Science Conference. Houston, TX.

Wood, C. A., and R. A. F. Grieve (1988) Surface
morphology of terrestrial impact craters as viewed from
orbit. Abstracts of Papers Submitted to the Lunar and
Planetary Science Conference. no. 19, Part 3,
pp. 1290-1291. Lunar and Planetary Science Conference.
Houston, TX, United States.

Wynn, J. C., and E. M. Shoemaker (1997) Secrets of the
Wabar Craters. Sky and Telescope. vol. 94, no. 5,
pp. 44-48.

Wynn, J. C., and E. M. Shoemaker (1998) The day the sands
caught fire. Scientific American. vol. 279, no. 5,
pp. 64-71.

I hope that this helps.

Yours,

Keith
New Orleans, LA

Africa's Impact Structures: Wabar
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/SIC/impact_cratering/
World_Craters_Web/africacraters/Wabar.html

(The above URL will have to be reassembled to work)

The WABAR event.
http://www.s-d-g.freeserve.co.uk/wabar.html