[meteorite-list] Re: Rubble pile asteroids

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:32 2004

--- Herbert Raab &lt;herbert.raab_at_utanet.at&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; I still think that there might be fuzzy borders
&gt; between
&gt; metamorphic grades, or that a small thin section
is
&gt; not representative for the whole specimen.
&gt;

Once again, Herbert has hit the nail square on the
head. It is a lot to ask of a single thin section to
speak for an entire meteoroid, let alone parent body.

But with a strewn field you have the opportunity to
sample multiple specimens, and with each additional
thinsection you add to your confidence level for class
(and metamorphic grade).

I have never seen a table of Gold Basin specimens that
have been classified, so I can only speak for the 22
stones that I have had analyzed, and the consensus
among researchers is that there was, indeed, an L6
meteorite fall in the Gold Basin Area. How to
reconcile that fall and the Gold Basin (L4) fall,
hasn't been decided, yet.

Herbert continues:
&gt; I just want to caution that there might be
&gt; UNCERTAINTIES in the assignement of metamorphic
&gt; grades, but I am no scientist, so I don't really
&gt; know.
&gt; Just my three (Euro) Cents worth of thoughts...

Well, in defense of all the petrologists that
determine the classifications of our meteorites, you
can rest assured that they have no uncertainty when
they assign a metamorphic grade. When researchers
examine the petrologic fabric of a stony in thin
section, and those petrologists find orthopyroxenes,
or they find feldspars, there is no uncertainty in
that observation, and hence there is no uncertainty in
which metamorphic grade they must assign.

Of course, if the sample is extremely small, or the
classifier &#34;spends too little time examining a
thin section, this could pose problems, but I wouldn't
call it &#34;uncertainty&#34;.
(&#34;Uncertainty in assignment&#34; is probably just
an unfortunate choice of words. I prefer to use the
term &#34;differing institution-criteria&#34;, but I'd
rather not &#34;go there&#34; at this time;-)

Bob V.