[meteorite-list] TEKTITES VS. TEARS

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:32 2004

---------------- Original Message -----------------
[meteorite-list] TEKTITES VS. TEARS
Sterling K. Webb kelly_at_bhil.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:52:44 -0500

mafer wrote:
> Hi Sterling and list
> I still think the microwave test is valid and proves
> the same thing. Heat both in a microwave, and see
> the obsidian get too hot to handle (from water
> content).
> Mark

----------
Hi!
    Great idea! Tomorrow I'm going to microwave an
australite, an indochinite, a moldavite, a bediasite,
an apache tear, and a big chunk of wyoming obsidian
and see what happens.

Sterling

Hi Sterling and Mark,

Make sure that you use an asbestos pad under your
specimens, because the obsidian will heat to boiling
in less than a minute, and take care in handling the
tektites, because some of them will still get very hot
to the touch.

I've attached some correspondence that recounts some
of our earlier efforts at comparison testing.

Take Care
Bob V.

----------- Attached Message ------------