[meteorite-list] The Pribram/Neuschwanstein Meteoroid Stream Is Not Dead

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

September 22, 2002

Greetings Dieter Heinlein, Bernd, Eric Olson, and
Fellow Meteorite Enthusiasts!

Wow! Simply Incredible! Neuschwanstein is an E6
chondrite?! I can't wait to hear more!

This whole unprecedented turn of events reminds me of
a vital point that I had forgot to include in my last
Neuschwanstein post. If asteroid collisions are truly
the mechanisms by which boulder sized meteoroid
streams could be made possible, then most certainly
two "different" parent bodies are needed. The chances
of the two being exactly alike in composition are
doubtful, however. Also, it is quite apparent that
there are still uncertainties when it comes to all the
effects and aftereffects of space collisions. Thus,
the possibility of pieces from the impactor being
incorporated in the formation of a meteoroid stream or
vice versa should be seriously considered in the
Neuschwanstein case and future events. After all, if
one thinks about it, just what would be more likely:

A. A collision created meteoroid stream composed of
pieces purely from either the impactor or host...

or B. A stream composed of matter from both
asteroids, either in the form of breccias or
individual pieces, where one predominates the other?

In theory then, a collision-formed stream of Pribrams
with an occasional Neuschwanstein in it "is" possible.
It would be splendid to know if any brecciation
(including clasts) exist in Neuschwanstein or
Pribram, as that may give credence to the asteroid
impact possibility.

Also, not to ignore what Eric Olson had wrote:...

<the first pieces were cut from the Neuschwanstein
<meteorite, and thin sections had been prepared, the
<result was: .... (rolling drums) ... no, not "just"
<an ordinary chondrite but an enstatite chondrite
<(E6). Further analyses will show if it is an EH or an
<EL.

It will be interesting to see how this affects
chondrite formation theory since H's and E's are
supposed to be formed in different regions of the
solar system. Maybe the orbital similarity to Pribram
is just a coincidence.

Eric Olson
http://www.star-bits.com

* * * * *

Just a coincidence? Possibly, or perhaps E-chondrites
are more closely related to H5s than it was ever
previously thought. This idea is indeed an outgrowth
from my past Neuschwanstein scenario, but
nevertheless, is another theory that too, deserves a
little attention. E-chondrites could represent a
layer in the Pribram parent body that was oxygen
deprived, somewhat analogous to being "smothered by a
pillow." It is true that there is much data against
such a hypothesis, but if you were to list the data
for it, the Pribram/Neuschwanstein happenstance would
"have" to be included.

Please feel free to inform me of any errors in the
above text.

Long strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA