[meteorite-list] Meteorite Contest #7 - Free 2.3g Tatahoine (Help for Rafael!)

From: Rafael B. Torres <spacecollection2001_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

Hello EveryoneĦĦĦĦĦIm still having problems with my account, I sent 2 mails
to the list, but they are not arrivingĦĦĦ, I hope this will doĦ...First of
all I want to thanks to all that have replied my mails helping with my
questionsĦĦĦĦ And second I want to make my entry for the contest:

I went to a small town near here and I had my Canyon Diablo with me, so I
saw a rock shop and there was this man selling rocks, I showed him the
meteorite and told him that it was a meteorite, so he could look for
anything like that in his stock of rocks. He saw it and as if meteorites
were very common and as if he had seen many of them he said: "Sure thats a
meteorite, I have a big one in my backyardĦĦĦ, about a hundred kilos" I was
surprised for the unsual answer. But of course he took me to the backyard
just to find out that he had a huge piece of hematite or magnetite. I spent
the next minutes trying to explain him that it was not a meteorite, but for
him its still a meteorite that worths several thousand pesosĦ.

Another time I had my Gao with me in the school and I decided to take it to
my Chemestry teacher, I told him that the meteorite was fresh with a nice
fusion crust, I told that I bought it from the internet. He looked at it
carefuly and said: "How much was that?: they robbed you, its not a
meteorite...meteorites are always round and heavy". He showed me several
"meteorites" he had, but it was just hematiteĦĦĦĦĦ, he told me he bought
those in the place where they fell (Zona del Silencio) and that they were
pretty cheap around $2 each individual. Since then Ive been trying to
explain him that those are just meteorwrongs, but he doesnt pay attention,
and one more time he thinks he has the "real" meteorites.

As you can see around here there are a lot of meteorwrongs and the education
around here says that those are meteorites from la Zona del Silencio,
actually you can find thousands of them around here and everyone here has
several of them, so most people here in my city have a meteoriteĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ(Hows
that?)....but of course its just hematite....But they think they are
meteoritesĦĦĦĦĦMeteorites are a common rock hereĦĦĦ

            =0)
Rafael B. Torres
Space Collection 2001
http://www.geocities.com/rafael_blando