[meteorite-list] Neuschwanstein

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:29 2004

Mark Fox wrote:

> I am probably not far off to speculate that many list members
> are in suspense over the classification of the new meteorite
> fall... Neuschwanstein. The reasons are quite obvious, this
> meteoritic stone has the possibility of being connected with
> an actual "meteorite" shower, is a new fall, and was the fruit
> of arduous searching.

Hello Mark and List,

The German List just received this message from our list member
Dieter Heinlein:

The Neuschwanstein meteorite has finally been classified! There is still
only the 1750-gram specimen that was found in mid-July, although many
people - among them also several list members - tried to find more and
are still trying.

The MPI scientists in Heidelberg actually found considerable amounts
of short-lived isotopes like Be-7. In early September, when the first
pieces were cut from the Neuschwanstein meteorite, and thin sections had
been prepared, the result was: .... (rolling drums) ... no, not "just"
an ordinary chondrite but an enstatite chondrite (E6). Further analyses
will show if it is an EH or an EL.

Thank you, Dieter
Best regards, List,
Wow! - What a day!