[meteorite-list] Check your bags

From: mlblood_at_cox.net <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:26 2004

Hi Kevin & all,
     BTW - nice Denver Show - a little small, but lots of
good vibes - most successful Denver Auction to date -
held a "United Auction" combining the "People's
Auction" & the COMETS' Auction. Best item was a full
slice of a beautiful brechiated meteorite, I believe it was
offered by Oscar and was purchased by Fred Hall. A
stunning piece. The most impressive item that did not
sell, but was a hoot to see - a tank just like Rob's from
Russian station, complete with micro craters and
impressive reentry flow lines - found in Patagonia.
     Now, as for flying - I brought back a few New
Campos of 1 to 4 kg ea and was sent back when I tried
to bring then back in my small suitcase as "carry on." I
was sent back to check my bag. This was to prevent
me from getting up during flight, pulling down my bag
from the overhead, unpacking in mid flight, removing a
meteorite from the packing, and using it to break a
window - you can all fly with the assurance you are
safe from mad meteorite dealers and collectors who
would smash out windows were we allowed to bring
such dangerous items onto the plane. I breathed much
easier on the way back, knowing this. Thank goodness
I remembered to leave my Swiss Army Knife at home! I
might have jumped up and performed brain surgery on
the pilot mid flight! One never knows what those high
altitudes will do to the ol' thought processes.
      Oh, well. Bless their little pea pickin' hearts.
      Best wishes, Michael

> From: MARSROX_at_aol.com
> Date: 2002/09/13 Fri AM 10:15:31 EDT
> To: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
> Subject: [meteorite-list] Check your bags
>
> In the last days, here in touristy SW Florida, travelers
are suddenly
> reporting being charged hundreds of $ extra at check-
in for luggage measuring
> more than 62" adding each linear dimension. Weight
was irrelevent.

> In the interest of list members who travel extensively,
both domestic and
> international, here's a "head's up" on a new/old/
unknown/you-could-be-next
> airline policy that is now rapidly growing in
enforcement.