[meteorite-list] Crater Information - Michigan

From: Keith <littlejo_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:26 2004

In the thread [meteorite-list] Crater Information
and on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:28:07 -0400,
Charles O'Dale codale0806_at_rogers.comm wrote:

>Does anyone out there in meteorite land know about the
>Can-Am meteorite crater. I am looking for any
>drilling/magnetic etc information.
>
>http://ksplibrary.tripod.com/Crater.html

References for the Cam-Am structure are:

Forsyth, D. A., M. Pilkington, B. Milkereit, and R. A. F.
Grieve (1990a) A major circular basement structure
beneath the eastern Michigan Basin. American Association
of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin Vol. 74, no. 8, pp. 1305.

Forsyth, D. A., M. Pilkington, R. A. F. Grieve, and D.
Abbinett (1990b) Major Circular Structure beneath
Southern Lake Huron defined from Potential Field Data.
Geology, vol. 18, no. 8, pp 773-777.

Stolzenburg, W. (1990) Impact Crater May Lie beneath Lake
Huron. Science News. vol. 138, p. 133.

I found some other citations about proposed impact
structures in Michigan. Some were more successful
than others in presenting their case. The unedited
list of citations is:

Buthman, D. B. (1997) Global hydrocarbon potential of
impact structures. In K. S. Johnson and J. A. Campbell,
eds., Ames structure in northwest Oklahoma and similar
features; origin and petroleum production (1995
symposium), pp. 83-99. Circular no. 100, Oklahoma
Geological Survey, Norman, Oklahoma.

Buthman, D. B. (1998) Global hydrocarbon potential of
impact structures. In Meeting Abstracts - American
Association of Petroleum no. 4. American Association
of Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Ghatge, S. L. (1984) A geophysical investigation of
a possible astrobleme in southwestern Michigan.
Unpublished Master's thesis. Western Michigan
University. Kalamazoo, MI.

Hartung, J. B. (1977) Extrapolation of gravity data
suggests large impact structures form sinking basins.
Eos, Transactions, American Geophysical Union. vol. 58,
no. 6, p. 428.

Hartung, J. B. (1978) The Michigan Basin as an impact
structure. Meteoritics. vol. 13, no. 4, p. 488.

Hartung, J. B. (1979) The Huronian Supergroup; Michigan
Basin ejecta. Meteoritics. vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 409-410

Hartung, J. B. and Laney, R. T. (1979) The Michigan
Basin as an evolved impact structure; II, The Huronian
of southern Ontario, Canada. Eos, Transactions,
American Geophysical Union. vol. 60, no. 18, p. 300.

Milstein, R. L. (1987a) Impact origin of Calvin 28
cryptoexplosive disturbance, Cass County, Michigan.
American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin.
vol. 71, no. 9, p. 1109.

Milstein, R. L. (1987b) The Calvin 28 cryptoexplosive
disturbance, Cass County, Michigan. In North-central
section of the Geological Society of America, D. L.
Briggs, ed. Centennial field guide no. 3, Geological
Society of America, Boulder, CO.

Milstein, R. L. (1988a) Mystery at Calvin Center.
Michigan Natural Resources. vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 12-17.

Milstein, R. L. (1988b) The Calvin 28 Structure; evidence
for impact origin. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences.
vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1524-1530.

Milstein, R. L. (1994) The Calvin impact crater, Cass
County, Michigan; identification and analysis of a
subsurface Ordovician astrobleme. Unpublished Doctoral
dissertation. Oregon State University. Corvallis, OR.

Milstein, R. L. (1997) The Calvin impact structure,
Cass County, Michigan; identification and analysis of
a subsurface Ordovician astrobleme. In K. S. Johnson and
J. A. Campbell, eds., Ames structure in northwest
Oklahoma and similar features; origin and petroleum
production (1995 symposium), pp. 391-393. Circular no.
100, Oklahoma Geological Survey, Norman, Oklahoma.

Milstein, R. L. (1998) The Calvin impact crater and its
associated oil production, Cass County, Michigan. Annual
Meeting Abstracts - American Association of Petroleum
Geologists and Society of Economic Paleontologists and
Mineralogists no. 5, p. 99. . American Association of
Petroleum Geologists, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Milstein, R. L. (2001) Geology of the Calvin impact
structure, Cass County, Michigan. American Aossociation
of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin. Bulletin. vol. 85
no. 8, pp. 1536-1537.

Read, W. F. (1990) New evidence that Limestone Mt.,
Michigan, is part of a large impact structure. Proceedings
and Abstracts - Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Annual
Meeting. vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 90-92.

Suh, M. (1985) A seismic study of an impact feature in
Cass County, Michigan. Unpublished Master's thesis.
Western Michigan University. Kalamazoo, MI.

Yours,

Keith
New Orleans, LA