[meteorite-list] Problems Reading Digest-Version of Posts (was, Teen hit my meteorite??)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:22 2004

-------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:58:29 -0600
From: Ginger Mayfield <chikadee_at_earthlink.net>
To: Meteorite List

Subject: [meteorite-list] Teen hit my meteorite??

++++snip!!++++
By the way, reading the messages from the digest
version is very difficult since a lot of the messages
come through in a format my browser (Netscape) can't
read at all.
--------------------------------------

Hello Ginger,

Before you blame your Netscape browser for causing the
problem with your difficulty in reading posts on the
M-List Digest-version, take a look at the Archives web
page and see if it looks any different:

<http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2002-September/date.html>

I think you will find that it has more to do with
Art's MeteoriteCentral service provider - cannot
Archive posts that are in html. This may be the
reason why one of Art's "List Rules" is:

"5. Send emails in text format, not -HTML- "

If you see the following at the beginning of a post,
then you know that original message was in html and
was converted to text:

During the conversion a lot of extraneous characters
are introduced, but I still find the messages to be
readable. What gets to be a headache is what this
conversion does to URL links within the message. The
conversion can really screw them up.

I wonder how many other people are having problems
like Ginger is having?

Bob V.

P.S. - I'm using MS Internet Explorer and here is what
a typical post looks like (even with Netscape) on both
the Digest and the Archives versions: