[meteorite-list] Newspaper Articles in General

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:21 2004

Bernd and list,

Thanks for your kind comments Bernd and others. I find the articles very
interesting myself and have invested much more time and money then I probley
should, but have been quite successful so for the moment I will keep it up.

I hired a research assistant from the local college to help me find more.
With the many I seem to find I figured with help I would only do better.
Strangly after a few weeks, my assistant didnt find any and decided my money
was best spent elsewhere. (I'm single and she was cute so I didnt
care...:-) When I first hired her she said, "You want what?". I think she
thought it strange anyone would try to find such things without accually
having a plan for them.

I have two more I will post when I have them typed within the next couple
days, soon I start some planned trips and will have to put all projects on
hold.

While I do wish that everybody is respectfull and not do something like,
take all the articles I have found and do something like make a book with
their name, several of you have commeted you are saving them and so I
thought I would give suggestions on how I save them...not the newspapers
themselves...I store them between cardboard with a couple on my meteorite
room wall.

The transcripts I save in a file on wordpads in my computer. I subject them
by date and then the paper. For example, "1822 04-16 New York Times". This
allows then to be organized by date by arranging the wordpads by name. Also
I have started including page number as well as paper and city location to
help others locate the papers if desired.

You might have noticed I have have lately included a (?), after some words.
This means I could not read the word perfectly, it may have been smeared or
the type slipped, or like, and therefore mispelling is possible.

I will consider making copies of certain papers if I feel there is great
interest in it, such as the Weston I offered. While you are always free to
ask on any article, it is unlikely I will make copies at this time of most.

Also, if any list member has any old newspaper articles I would be
interested in I would appreciate a transcript or a copy if available.
Foreign papers would need a translation. I am also willing to buy the papers
or trade meteorites for, but am mostly just interested in older papers.
Despite my efforts I have been unable to locate any on the Holbrook fall or
the Nakhla. John Schooler sent me a couple photocopies and I do appreciate
his efforts.

Thanks again for the many comments. Without these I would not have known
that this is of any interest to anyone but myself and would probley not have
continued to post them.

Mark