AW: [meteorite-list] RE: Civilized strewnfields.

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:20 2004

Hi Eric, hi Listees,

In fact, they will be filming at Neuschwanstein, but they intend
to go beyond that recent fall. Of course, the Neuschwanstein fall
triggered a public interest for meteorites in the German media,
but that's not all there is to it. They realized that there are
people who study meteorites, collect meteorites, and hunt for
meteorites in the most remote regions of this planet. This film
crew intends to capture more than one glimpse on such a vast area
of exploration, and this includes professional meteorite hunting
in desert areas. It's just sad that they don't want to consider
Oman, or Libya, since it's not so difficult to capture the
discovery of a new meteorite in these countries. You just drive
through the right areas, keep your eyes open, and yeap - there
it is - a black rock from space. I've not been to the desert very
often, but according to my experience it usually takes no longer
than 3 to 5 days to find a new meteorite or strewnfield; my friend
conducted more than 10 tours to Libya, and Oman, and he found more
than 150 new meteorites on his trips, mostly ordinary chondrites,
but also a few rare rocks, such as carbonaceous chondrites, and
several new HED members. That's meteorite hunting, too ;-)

Best,
Norbert