[meteorite-list] Re: US and Mexican Strewfields

From: Svend Buhl <Svendbuhl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:08:19 2004

> Any other suggestions on strewnfields in civilized
> countries where meteorite hunting isn't prohibited=3F

Dear Norbert and list,

I work on scientific research permissions in several African countries for=
 quite a time now and sometimes I feel its probley better to buy a quiet p=
iece of desert and wait for the rocks to drop in.
Anyhow, since I organized a first expedition to the T=E9n=E9r=E9 desert in march=
 02 I call an official research permission my own. The paper is suitable f=
or mineral prospection within the territory of the republic of Niger. And =
who ever had to deal with Central African authorities might have a slight =
idea about how hard it was to get. The whole procedure reminded me pretty =
much on the storys of Franz Kafka - the signature and the comnnected payme=
nt that was missing was always supposed to be the last.=20
Thanks to our reliable Tuareg partners were now the (single=3F) legal contra=
ctor for meteorite prospection in Niger. Permission is still valid for a s=
econd expedition which is just being planned.=20

Your question for the chances of finding a meteorite in one week the nomad=
s would reply to with a relaxed "InchAllah". It means as much as "so God w=
ill". We all know the T=E9n=E9r=E9 is not the Dar Al Ghani but from the experien=
ce of our first trip I would give it a 50% chance. We found four metorites=
 within ten days of intense prospecting (one ungrouped primitive Achondrit=
e). But I have to admit the duration of the whole operation was five weeks=
 due to the crossing of the Air Mountains and the Transit through Algeria.=
 We had our own cameraman with us and took about six hours of footage. The=
 film is just beeing cut. If you may need some more information about the =
expedition and able to read German check out our page at www.fiebrandt.de/=
recon/ (page will soon move to www.NigerMeteoriteRecon.de)=20

As some of the finds are still under classification the meteorite sales pa=
ge is still rudimentary but will soon be complete with full foto documenta=
tion. If you need assistance concerning research and export permits or loc=
al transport capacities in the republic of Niger you may just send me a ma=
il.=20

Good luck & Maasalama
Svend
=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=5F=
=5F=5F=5F=5F
Die clevere Geldreserve: der DiBa-Privatkredit. Funktioniert wie ein Dispo=
,=20
ist aber viel gunstiger! Alle Infos: http://diba.web.de/=3Fmc=3D021104