[meteorite-list] picture taking technique?

From: Rafael B. Torres <spacecollection2001_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:06:53 2004

Hello Michael and list. I would really go for a Digital Camera if you don't
want your pictures for a serious work. I have a digital camera too, its a
Kodak 1 megapixel and its quite good, I got it for $160 a year ago, you can
get one better for that price now. The Sony Cybershot has a lot of
functions, including one for taking closeups, thats taking a picture too
close to the object, less than an inch from the object and those are great
photos, you can get a 2.2 megapixel Sony for about $220, but if you want a
really professional they go for about $500 or more, but you won't regret
that camera. Cannon, Nikkon and Sony are great deals, and the Kodak I have
works pretty good, I take all pictures of my meteorites with that camera. Im
not a professional photographer for close-ups, but what I do is that I
choose the best resolution in the options and I take the photo of the
meteorite from the shortest distance of focus and then use a Corel Draw to
edit the picture, like increase brightness, auto-equalize, etc and the cut
it to only the meteorite part and they work pretty good. Or what you can do
too is get a camera with zoom (optical zoom works better) and the make the
close-up with the camera zoom, and they will work too. As Michael said the
pint is illumination. I take all pictures outside in the sun, and the photos
are better there, or you can do it indoors with a white light flashlight and
digital will equalize the light color. I have some photos that Ive taken
with my camera in:

http://www.geocities.com/rafael_blando (meteorites and fossils)
http://www.geocities.com/frijolconpatas (scenic views around my city)

But what I recommend if you can afford a $300 camera buy the Sony Cybershot
2.2 Megapixel or the Cannon A40 model, you can get them at Best Buy for
about that price, but those are good camerasĦĦĦĦĦ

            =0)
Rafael B. Torres
Space Collection 2001
http://www.geocities.com/rafael_blando