[meteorite-list] Mystery

From: J. Fox <jfox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:05 2004

Michael,

Your gif image is 141kb in size, and is 16 bit full color, and 453 x 432
pixels in size. It takes me approximately 28 seconds to download with
a 56k modem.

Your jpg image is 33kb in size, and is 16 bit full color, and 441 x 414
pixels in size. It takes me approximately 7 seconds to download with
a 56k modem.

I believe the reason for the smaller file size (hence faster download
time) for the jpg is that is is being processed using a file compression
algorithm (typical for a jpg), while the gif is a straight conversion
from your original image.

To convert the file to a gif, and keep a fair amount of color detail
in the image, I recommend the following procedure, although I haven't
used photoshop in about 5 years - so I may be a bit unclear in my
instructions (I use better software now.)

Take your raw file (tif, jpg, pict, etc.) and CONVERT it to an 8 bit
image, with optimized pallet, and reduced the colors to 64 (you may
be able to get away with 32 colors.) Next, save it as a gif. That's
all there is to it. You will now have a smaller file size, and it
will load quite fast.

I hope this is not too obscure. The key point is to reduce the amount
of information in the file. Reduce the sampling rate to 8 bit, and
reduce the number of colors to as few as you can get away with and still
have good definition and color rendition.

I hope others on the list will find this of use when preparing photos
for the web, either for items to sell, or to show their collections.

Best regards,

Jon Fox