[meteorite-list] How To Collect Meteorites

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:02 2004

Hello all,

Don't know if this subject has come up before (probably has) but thought I would try
to start a thread that might be useful to all the collectors out there on how you
might collect. Don't want to suggest that I have all the answers on how different
people collect or even how one should collect but thought this might be fun (the
reason for this topic so others can chime in and offer their suggestions).

I think ideally the perfect specimen one would like to have in a collection, is an
individual (single stone or iron complete without blemishes) that is, a text book
example of a meteorite or a true museum piece. Unfortunately we can't all owe the best
examples as they are far and few between the average specimen. I often see items
listed as a museum piece or orientated but I don't think they always are what they are
represented as or one persons opinion might differ with others on this definition.

A thumb printed, orientated piece might just be the center piece of a collection if
you are able to acquire one at all. There are many buyers for the best specimens as a
rule and would normally command a higher asking price. There are many specimens that
are less than perfect but in no means inferior to the perfect pieces that we would all
desire. Some of these are no doubt unique and very much worth keeping in our
collections and are true gems by themselves. In my collection (and in no way am I
saying this is the only way to collect) I try to have an example of both the
individual stone or iron and slice if possible. Sometimes I only have a slice
(individuals are too costly or hard to get sometimes) or only an individual and I am
needing a slice or part slice. This shows both what a piece looked like after the fall
and what the interior looks like inside (without disturbing a nice individual). I have
had a slice or an individual for years before the complementary piece is finally
obtained!!

If one can't collect an individual then a half specimen is always nice (and would be
my second choice) as it shows the outside structure of a fall along with a nice window
of the interior and can be displayed in many ways. End pieces would be my third choice
over an individual or individual that is nearly perfect (beauty is always in the eye
of the beholder, right?). Even if you can't get a true half of an end piece then any
end piece is still a good choice as it still shows much of the look of your meteorite
while providing a window to the interior. 1/4 end pieces would also be a good choice
when possible and if that is to ones liking.

Full slices would be my next choice if an individual, or end piece isn't available.
This allows for the outside edge to be seen and what the crust is like. It also shows
what the interior looks like on both sides of the slice and offers two different ways
to present the piece in a collection or while on display. Full slices also show what
the individual meteorite looked like in shape at the point the slice was taken from.
Some pieces only a small slice is really needed for the representative type, but in
other cases in order to show a good structure of the class type meteorite (like a
coarsest octahedrite structure) a larger slice may be needed. Again not everyone
would want to collect a larger size slice (space restrictions, costs, preference) all
enters into the decision on what is in a collection.

A half slice would be my next choice as it shows good representation of the meteorite,
the outside crust if any and a good view to the interior. It also can be display on
both sides to show the interior off. After that part slices WITH crust would always be
a first choice but in the case of a hard to obtain type (or in some cases where there
is more interior than outside crust), a part slice even small ones are always better
than no slice at all. After that part slices with no crust are always better than no
representative type.

Macro specimens (larger than a micro mount) would be a good choice and then a micro
mounted specimen after that. The larger the specimen the more scientifically valuable
it is. (I do not want this to get into a size debate!!!) Ideally if I can't afford a
reasonable size specimen, then I save up for it or trade for it, when possible. I have
found if you are patient sooner or later a specimen will come around again, even the
hard to obtain. If a hard to obtain type becomes available then it is always a good
idea to buy it if it is a have to have piece. Being patient though on pieces that are
more readily available has more often been a good rule of thumb for me over the past
years. Finding out total known weight of a fall or find is important when considering
your purchase and often is why a specimen is or isn't readily available. There are
some falls or finds that sell rapidly because of their beauty and type, even if there
is a fair quantity so this is part of the decision making process. Ownership of a fall
or a find can restrict the material availability and drive up price if someone is
setting on a wanted fall or find. Next message with deal with types of collections.

I hope others will put their two grams worth in and offer tips that I have left out.
All my best!

--AL