[meteorite-list] Repairing broken meteorites

From: mafer_at_domafer.com <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:02 2004

Hi Dave and list
Although I have no experience at "repairing" meteorites, I do know what
some people do for opals that break. They use opticon 2 part epoxy. Its
water clear and supposed to not (or be very good at resisting) yellowing.
My suggestion then would be to mix up a small batch of epoxy and using a
toothpick, apply some to the inner area of the break on one half after
cleaning both well with a good alcohol. Then, on a flat piece of alum.
foil, slide both halves together, watching for any epoxy to protrude from
the crack on the (I'm assuming you broke a slice that was possibly
polished) polished side. The excess can be wiped away with a lint free
chemwipe or similar cloth moistened with ethyl/denatured alcohol. Then,
you can leave the piece to dry. Use of a hot plate (the kind used to keep
food warm, not one to cook with) will accelerate the curing of the epoxy.Good luck
Mark