[meteorite-list] Re: Desert Varnish

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:01 2004

--------------3BA8E393A8E789530B73EFD9

Rafael,
Excellent links to explain your desert varnish questions have
been posted this month. Here is the archive in order by date:
 http://www.pairlist.net/pipermail/meteorite-list/2002-October/date.html

Best,
Ken Newton
 meteorwrongs on eBay

"Rafael B. Torres" wrote:

> Hello everyoneˇˇˇˇ..Ive been offline for two days and Ive seen this list
> kinda quiet for now. There has been a topic in this list that I would like
> to know about.
> I live in the northern mexican desert, and Im quite familiar with desert
> varnish in rocks and its appearance. I dont like desert varnish in normal
> rocks cuz this makes impossible to look for meteorites around here, because
> every rock around here seems to be covered with the black and dark desert
> crust. Ive been fooled more than once thinking normal rocks are meteorites,
> cuz from far away some rocks seem to be meteorites, even in huge sand dunes
> where the sand is almost white and very fine. I dont know what causes desrt
> varnish, Ive been told its from the radiation of the sun. The desert varnish
> around here is like a fusion crust on meteorites, but it has rough texture
> and opaque shine.
>
> Desert varnish in meteorite I have from the Sahara desert seem like dark and
> others are light red or orange. I think this in part is because of the
> interior make up of meteorites, but if its desert varnish, why is it so
> shiny and soft?, does anybody know what causes desert varnish in
> meteorites?, and does it differ from desert to desert?. I think ths desert
> varnish may have clues of the time the meteorite has spent in the Earth. So
> this desert varnish is a sign of severe weathering on the meteorite or not?
>
> =0)
> Rafael B. Torres
> Space Collection 2001
> http://www.geocities.com/rafael_blando

--------------3BA8E393A8E789530B73EFD9

Rafael,
on eBay</a>
offline for two days and Ive seen this list
like
normal
because
desert