[meteorite-list] NWA 1109 Howardite or Eucrite?

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

Hi David, Adam and all,

That's what I think too and the point I was making. It seemed to me in
Adam's past post and also in his ebay write-ups on NWA 1109 that a greater
than 10% orthopyroxene for NWA 1109 was needed for it to be called a
howardite. I wanted to point out that other material was present in the rock
and texturally it certainly looked like a howardite to me.
It seems to me that the new HED classification scheme is relying too much on
laboratory analyses and forgetting the textural features. As an analogy, you
might look at the famous black sand beaches of Hawaii. They're composed
primarily of small rounded fragments of basalt. Using the compositional
classification scheme, they could easily be classified as a "polymict
basalt" instead of a basaltic sand if they didn't have greater than 10%
other sand material ;-) The obvious textural fact that it is composed of
sand grains could be forgotten. In a howardite we have a meteorite that was
part of the regolith of an achondrite asteroid and to me, that is the most
important fact in the classification, not its composition. Maybe instead, a
classification scheme using something like diogenetic howardite, polymict
howardite, etc. might really give more useful information as to what the
rock actually is.
Just my 2 cents.
Regards,
Frank