[meteorite-list] Re: Thunder Stones

From: stan szalkowski <stansz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

Hi,
    Back in the mid 80's I spent several months working in Nigeria.
Outside the hotel was a market where you could buy souvenirs. One trader
had a large basket filled with fist sized black rocks that had a sign
Thunder Stones that he was selling for about $3 each. I asked the fellow
what they were and his reply was "rocks fall from sky and make noise
like thunder". I figured he had had a little to much palm wine and
passed on the deal. It was only after about 15 years later when I
started collecting meteorites that I realized what they were. I was told
that these rocks are collected in the southern sahara by the people from
Niger.
    As for doing business with any one from Nigeria it is a good way to
get screwed. The country is full of con men and any dealings with them
will most likely be bad. Remember "If it sounds to good to be true it
probably is!!!"