[meteorite-list] Newspaper Article, 04-19-1906 Cemetery Meteorite

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:07:00 2004

--------------E26A6BAB202D58E1940074EB

Mark,
I really enjoy the old newspaper articles.
They invariably raise more questions than they answer.
Too bad there is no one around give us more info!
Like how does a 25 lb object "gradually worked to the surface" by
itself?
Please keep them coming...
Best,
Ken Newton

MARK BOSTICK wrote:

> New York Time
>
> New York City, New York
>
> Thursday, April 19, 1906
>
> Page: 10
>
> FOUND METEOR FRAGMENT
>
> Cemetery Workman Digs Up One Buried for Twelve Years
>
> Special to The New York Times
>
> RAHWAY, N.J., April 18. - John Godfray, in excavating for a monument
> today in Hazlewood Cemetery, dug up a meteor fragment weighing 25
> pounds. It seemed to be composed of fused minerals, glass, stone and
> steel. There is a mixture of vari-colored stones intermingled through
> the otherwise gray mass.
>
> Tweleve years ago Keron Kiernan, keeper of the cemetary, while at work
> one afternoon, heard a whistle, like escaping steam, coming through
> the clouds overhead. Then came a bright light, an oder of sulpher
> filled the air, and about fifty feet from where he stood a missile
> buried itself in the ground scorching the grass about and melting the
> gravel where it fell. The opening showed the object to have buried
> twelve feet deep. Since then it has gradually worked to the surface.

--------------E26A6BAB202D58E1940074EB

Mark,
for a monument today in Hazlewood Cemetery, dug up a meteor fragment weighing
25 pounds. It seemed to be composed of fused minerals, glass, stone and
steel. There is a mixture of vari-colored stones intermingled through the
otherwise gray mass.</font>
while at work one afternoon, heard a whistle, like escaping steam, coming
through the clouds overhead. Then came a bright light, an oder of sulpher
filled the air, and about fifty feet from where he stood a missile buried
itself in the ground scorching the grass about and melting the gravel where
it fell. The opening showed the object to have buried twelve feet deep.
Since then it has gradually worked to the surface.</font>